Rooftop garden, also known as green roof, uses rooftop space for growing plants. Rooftop gardening have several advantages. The gardens can be helpful to the environment and also to the owner of the rooftop.
1. Rooftop gardening can help in improving the quality of the atmosphere. Plants absorb carbon dioxide in the air and then convert it into oxygen. This oxygen is released into the air and because the rooftop plants have the ability to absorb some of the excess amounts of carbon dioxide in the air, they have the potential of reducing the effects of air pollution.
2. Rooftop gardening can increase energy conservation. Rooftop plants usually give natural insulation to rooftops by reflecting heat and light. This extra insulation helps in reducing the need for cooling or heating mechanisms, thereby cutting down on energy use and utility costs of the home.
3. Rooftop gardens can also be beneficial in places that accumulate a large amount of rain. The plants can absorb some of the rainwater and also limit the runoff from excess water.
4. The use of rooftops to grow plants can make more ground space available. The extra space left can be used for growing agricultural crops.
5. Rooftop gardening can also protect rooftops from deterioration and damage. Ultraviolet radiations, excess winds and severe temperatures can shorten the lifetime of a rooftop. Gardens on the rooftop can form a kind of barrier which protects the roof so that homeowners are less likely to have to replace or repair them.
6. For gardeners who have shrubs, bushes or other plants that may be prone to attacks from pests or small animals, transplanting gardens to the rooftop can be helpful. When plants are moved up higher, it can reduce vermin and also prevent animals or humans from trampling on delicate plants which can occur if the plant is on the ground. Rooftop gardens also add aesthetic value to your home.
Other benefits include:
Through the supply and manufacture of roofing membranes, root repellent layers, landscaping cloth, drainage layers, irrigation systems, curbs and other specialty products, employment opportunities are created.
Climate change adaptation
Through the improvement of energy efficiency and addressing the issue of Urban Heat Island Effect, people can be better adapted and prepared for climate change.
It provides us with the chance of recycling aggregate and compost.